Tuesday, March 10, 2015

#Wolf threatening sheep in Drenthe

Posted on by Janene Van Jaarsveldt The first free wolf in the Netherlands in about 150 years spent the weekend chasing sheep in Drenthe.
Robert Vlieghuis (41) had to rescue his father in-law’s sheep from the wolf this weekend, AD reports. Vlieghuis went to check if the sheep were safe. A man with a dog told him that he saw the wolf in his father in-law’s meadow. “I looked and he was right. He was already busy hunting. Chasing the sheep.

I waved and called. I did everything. Followed the animal constantly and ensured that he could not get to the sheep. I’ve never seen such a big and dangerous beast. I clearly saw those big yellow eyes.” Vlieghuis told the newspaper.

“At one point I managed to get very close. He was not afraid. He walked around me, constantly trying to get back to the flock. I chased the beast for a quarter of an hour. He looked at me constantly to see if I would go away. More and more people arrived and at some point it became too busy for him, I think.”  The sheep has been moved to another piece of land.

Despite this adventure, Vlieghuis does not want the wolf to be harmed. “I am an animal lover, so I am definitely not for killing it. But I can imagine that a farmer would think otherwise. An intermediate solution must be found so that the animals are safe and the wolf has its own place.”

source

No comments:

Post a Comment